Thursday, April 23, 2009

Prepping your sportbike for the track




There many ways to prep a sportbike for the track.  I'll mention three:
  1. OCD-you tend to rebuild your engine between each track day, you've polished your chromie valve caps, and you've ironed your underarmor
  2. The Responsible One-you print out the checklist, you make sure you have everything on that list.  You probably have adjusted your chain, washed your bike, and done a thorough inspection.  Then you bring the fun stuff for yourself: digital camera to take a picture or two of some of the OCD people's bikes.  Overall, this person has balanced the right amount of time and effort to have fun on the track.
  3. Me-my version of inspection is to ride it and if nothing falls off, tech inspection complete!  Now now, don't worry, I did print up the sheet, and am making sure I have everything on the list but I didn't look too hard at my brake cables, nor did I do anything about the slightly overfilled and dirty oil (probably should have changed it after I installed that new race clutch).  Lets just say that at my last track day, the first session out, we were all suited up, mounted on bikes, engines running, and I was saddled up, tightening one of the bolts on my fairing.  Literally on the bike wrenching, seconds from being on the track. Yikes!
 

In the top figure, you can see the portion of the headlight with the blue painters tape.  This is to keep the glass from shattering all over the racetrack; when and if I fall.

Definitely going to bring the tools, tons of beverages, and faith that it will not rain!  Looking forward to Pacific Track Time's offering of lap timers.  If anyone wants to donate an Apple iMac 20" or other Mac computer product, I'm looking to develop some iPhone applications relevant to motorcycle riding.

I look forward to posting my trackday performance soon!

1 comment:

  1. Buying a sport bike is a dream for many bike lovers and also there are many popular and beautiful model of sports bike that can be available in the market.


    Lone Mountain Truck Leasing

    ReplyDelete